Student Code of Conduct
Star Academy Class Day is first and foremost a place of academic learning. We desire to create a positive atmosphere that encourages students to take responsibility for their own knowledge and learning experience. We want the class day experience to inspire, energize, and strengthen every student to academic excellence. To this end, we will insist on a standard of behavior that will foster this environment of excellence in learning. We want nothing to distract our students from achieving success in the academic tasks set before them.
Since we are all volunteers here, it takes a group effort to make class day all it should be. We need the help of every student and the parents that are on monitor duty in order to set up rooms with tables and chairs, take down the tables and chairs at the end of the day, keep the restrooms clean, and empty trash bins. If every person agrees to help, it makes the workload easier for everyone. Students may be asked to move a table or chairs that are not for one of their classes. With a helpful attitude, we’ll get things done in a hurry and without too much imposition on one person.
Students and Parents, please read the following rules below, and afterwards, if you can agree to abide by these rules, please sign the form electronically.
Students who do not follow the follow rules will be subject to the policies outlined on the Discipline Policies webpage.
Student Rules of Conduct:
- Positive speech: We desire all of our students to display excellence in their conversations with one another and with teachers and adults. Speaking positive and not negative words is always helpful and encouraging. There will be no name-calling, cursing, swearing, off-color jokes, innuendo, discussion about illegal substances or any other inappropriate talk. This would only serve to bring down and not uplift other people, and would not foster a learning environment.
- Positive behavior: In order not to be a distraction to other people, there will be no loud talking, horseplay (or rough-housing), or running. Everyone must keep their hands to themselves. No hitting, pushing, shoving, tripping, or other rough behavior. There will be no throwing of ANY objects at Star Academy classes.
- Positive peer relationships: All students should act with kindness and consideration of other students.
- There will be no romantic activity at class day. If students are in a relationship outside of class day, they will refrain from any and all PDA (public display of affection) during class day hours. No hand-holding, lingering hugs, kissing, etc.
- Each student will speak and act with kindness towards all other students. Whatever our personal feelings are for certain people in our lives, for the sake of focusing on our education, every student will set aside negative thoughts and feelings about any other student, speak only encouraging words, and act in kind ways while at class day.
- Students will treat one another with respect and consideration.
- Positive student/adult relationships: All students will act with respect for every adult at the class day, regardless of personal feelings. In the interest of learning to be adults, students will exercise self-control and show consideration for the adults participating in class day. No disrespectful behavior toward any adult will be tolerated.
- Positive academic effort: All students must maintain a passing grade of 70 in all classes in order to remain enrolled in Star Academy. Diligence at class day and at home is required in order to succeed. Students who do not maintain passing grades will be put on probation for a period of time in order to see if they can bring up their grades. If after the probation period, the grades have not been raised to above a 70, the student will be required to drop the class. However, payment for the class must still be made for the remainder of the year.
- All students that are not in class must remain in the student lounge or study hall areas, unless they are off campus.
- Each student may only be in study hall or student lounge for 2 hours for every 1 hour class they take at Star Academy. If your student is only signed up for 1 class at Star Academy, they can only stay on the Star Academy campus for a total of 3 hours, not including the lunch hour. (Special permission may be granted to extend this time if special circumstances need to be considered. Please see an administrator to discuss your situation.)
- The Student Lounge is a place for quiet socializing during off hours. No loud activity will be permitted. Students seated at the tables in the lounge must talk quietly.
- No talking at all is permitted in the Study Hall. This is a place for studying only! It will be open by request.
- If you are unsure that your student will be able to behave during their non-class hours, please make other arrangements for their off-time.
- The Star Academy Administration will require uncooperative students not to attend Student Lounge or Study Hall, and parents will be asked to pick up their student between classes and bring them back only for their class hours.
- The Student Lounge and a Study Hall is a privilege and not a right.
- Students may bring laptops and/or cell phones and use them during study hall hours. Computers and cell phones may not be opened or used during class time without the permission of the teacher.
- Students must obey the direction of their teachers and the adults in charge during class day hours.
- No pocket knives allowed at class day. Please leave all pocket knives at home.
- Students must come to class prepared, bringing all completed assignments and supplies required (i.e. notebooks, paper, pens, calculators, lab supplies, etc.).
- Students will abide by their parents’ wishes for them regarding whether or not they may leave campus.
- Every student attending a class at Star Academy must willingly help with the set-up and tear down process each week. Tables and chairs must be set up in the classrooms each week, and at the end of the day, they must be taken down and put away. (The last hour of the day, teachers will ask for assistance from their students to put the room back like it was upon arriving. Each student must stay and help with this process.)
- Every student must throw away their own trash and not leave it for others to throw away. However, throughout the day, everyone will be asked to pick up trash, even if it is not their own.