Parents, you are a critical component to the effectiveness of class day for your student. Your students will not be able to succeed without your help and encouragement. Coming to class day for a whole school year with assignments completed is a huge undertaking. Your students will need all the help they can get. We appreciate your support and diligence as you adhere to the following:
- Pay your tutors on time. Late payments will incur late fees. (see fees schedule below)
- Pick up your students on time after their last class. Star Admin will leave as soon as the buildings are cleaned and locked. If your student needs to wait for pickup after 3:30pm, please pick them up at the UC library right across the street.
- Please do not drop off your students more than ten minutes early for classes, unless they have a sibling that has a class earlier in the day.
- Keep track of how your student is doing in his/her classes. Log into NEOLMS frequently to see what assignments are due, grades received and check for missing work. Don’t automatically assume that no news is good news. Ask tutors, or log into NEOLMS. Stay engaged in the learning process. Parent and student accounts have been created for all families contact Star Administration if you need any assistance.
- Encourage your students to handle difficulties before you step in. Students need to learn how to interact with the authorities placed over them at Star Academy. If parents rush in, then students miss out on a learning experience.
- Encourage your students to deal directly with those involved in a problem, and not gossip with others.
- Please be supportive of adult volunteers and tutors, realizing they may handle things differently than you would at home.
- Do not bring other non-Star Academy students to class day and leave them unattended or allow them to roam the facility and parking lot. We want to avoid any extra responsibilities placed on the adults in charge.
- Do not bother the church staff with any questions or concerns about Star Academy or the facility. Speak with the Star Academy church liaison if you have any issues or questions.
- Please discuss with your students whether you wish them to remain on campus or will allow them to go off campus. We will no longer be monitoring students as they come and go from campus. No ID will be required to leave campus. Each student will be trusted to do as their parent wishes. If you do not think your student will abide by your wishes, you are free to come and stay at class day to ensure their compliance.
- Parent Monitor Volunteers:
- Parents must sign up for at least two full days (either 2 full days or 4 half-days) to monitor. [link added during registration] Parents must sign up for their volunteer slots by our first class day of the year, or upon registering, if registration is after classes have begun.
- At the end of the year, if you have fully completed your monitoring obligation in accordance with the policies below, you will be refunded $60 from your registration fee.
- All Star Academy rules will be enforced at all times. Parents will have access to a copy of the rules in order to know what behavior to monitor.
- Parent volunteers may bring their children with them for the day, and also may bring snacks, games, etc. for their family, but other children should not be disruptive or create a distraction for parents.
- Monitoring is not simply filling a space. Monitors must be ACTIVE, AWARE, and AVAILABLE to help where needed. Please do not expect to complete other work or obligations during your scheduled time.